Kinaara magazine in collaboration with Open Space India seeks contributions to Positive Spaces, an anthology of fiction, articles, essays, photographs and artwork that emphasise and celebrate the aspects of unity and coexistence within the youth of South Asia and the diaspora.
About Positive Spaces
Positive Spaces is a campaign run by Open Space India in a number of Indian cities in 2009, with the aim to develop physical as well as symbolical spaces that are safe, diverse, inclusive and attentive to the ways in which hierarchies of class, caste, religion, sexuality, gender and ability work within the youth. The campaign has been carried out in campuses and public spaces through workshops, awareness sessions, theatre and other live performances and film screenings, and supported by organisations like Seagull Foundation for the Arts.
Launched in July 2009, Kinaara is a monthly online literary magazine for the youth in South Asia and the diaspora. Kinaara is a platform to facilitate experimentations in the literary and art forms, discussions on social issues and concerns and similar communication arising from all over South Asia and people who identify as South Asian.
The collaboration will result in a print anthology to be published in January 2010 and circulated to NGOs, universities, libraries and social studies organizations across South Asia and beyond.
- Contributors should be of or below the age of 30 years as on December 31, 2009.
- Contributions should pertain to the topics of contemporary South Asian life, society, arts, culture or youth, and emphasise the theme of positive spaces.
- Essays, articles and short fiction should be within the length of 800-1200 words.
- Poetry should be within the length of 80 lines.
- Photo features should contain a maximum of 10 photos. Original files are preferred.
- Art features should contain a maximum of 5 pieces, scanned at 300 dpi in the least.
- For mixed media work and/or work requiring specific formatting, the contributor is requested to get in touch with the Kinaara team.
- Contributors should agree to permit Kinaara to publish any submission unused for the print edition in subsequent online editions.
All submissions and queries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.The last date for acceptance of submissions is November 30, 2009.